What Do You Want to Find?

Sunday, February 27, 2011

#3 - House Rules

House Rules by Rachel Sontag (02/01/11)

Rachel, a daughter controlled by her father.  A daughter stuck between wanting approval and wanting to separate herself from her family and their secrets.

I don't know why I didn't like this book.  Maybe because I didn't particularly like Rachel?  Or maybe because I didn't understand her relationship with her father.  Hm, no - I understood it, I just didn't believe it.  It's a memoir, so I believe it is (mostly) true.  And I believe it is what the author remembers as the truth.  But something about the explanation of that relationship didn't feel authentic.  Maybe because I'm a girl with her own fucked up daddy/daughter relationship (ew, how boo-hoo does that sound?  I swear my issues don't rule my life, but I'd be crazy not to think they don't affect me.  Especially when it comes to my opinion about a book with a similar theme).

Recommend?  Nah.  There are WAY BETTER memoirs out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment